Besides being fun, making this list could help your writing wake up to sound.
Don’t take too long on it. I’d say post your list within 24 hours. And don’t worry about trying to get your absolute top 5 favorite sounds ever. When you’ve collected 5 sounds you love, just post the list. We know this is just for fun, and we won’t hold you to any of your stated favorites. (And if you think of 5 more, you can post those, too!)
Okay, here are mine:
1. My daughter running (she’s three)
2. The cat jumping off of something, especially if it makes her bell jingle
3. The cat running and purring at the same time
4. An airplane going overhead when the weather is cloudy and rainy
5. The sound that Arches 140 lb. watercolor paper makes when you handle it
The first thing that came into my mind when I read this was, “the sound of sunshine coming down,” which is a line from a Michael Franti song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqgHosrqJ8o. (I hope that link works. If not, you can search for the song and listen if you’re interested.) I suppose the song itself is a sound about the theoretical sound of sunshine coming down. As for the other four noises, I like the sound of the wind in the trees, the sound of ocean waves breaking on the beach, the sound of the front door opening, and the sound of laughter.
That was fun. Thanks for posting, Keiko.
1. Rain falling, especially a good downpour.
2. My front door squeaking when I open it slo-o-o-o-wly (and then close it again just as slowly… 😉
3. Any chirp, click, or whir that I can make repeat over and over again, to appreciate all of the subtle nuances of the sound.
4. A cat purring.
5. A bell tapped once, so that it rings and resonates for a long time, quieter and quieter.
The Enterprise Going to Warp
The Sound of a Lightsaber
The Engines of the TARDIS
Runner up goes to the weird noise I can make in my throat.
I love the sound of waves washing up on the beach. The gurgle of a babies laughter. The sounds of a harp being played. I love to hear laughter. I love to hear choirs singing in harmony patriotic songs such as America the beautiful and God Bless America and many other wonderful songs about our great country. Thanks for reminding me Keiko of all the sounds. That was fun.
Leave a comment